Covenant Presbyterian Church came into being thanks to the vision of the denomination’s leadership, as well as the generosity of other Presbyterians in providing funds—at both local and national levels.
In 1947, the Los Angeles Presbytery appointed the Rev. Lloyd Halverson to survey the area of North Inglewood and Westchester, and he spent many weeks on house-to-house calls. As the future congregation came together, a steering committee was organized in February 1948. Just weeks later, Covenant’s first worship service and church school classes were held at the Westchester Christian Church on February 22, 1948.
The steering committee then worked through the activities necessary to formally establish the church within the denomination. It met one last time in early May, with its most important order of business: the selection of the land at the corner of 80th and Sepulveda for the building site.
Charter Sunday, when Covenant was officially recognized as a church, was on May 23, 1948. More than 120 new members were publically received; the first officers were elected, ordained and installed; and a formal call was extended to the Rev. Lloyd Halverson to serve as Covenant’s first pastor.
The congregation continued to meet at the Westchester Christian Church on Sunday afternoons until July 1949, when the Covenant family moved to the newly constructed Women’s Club House (now the YMCA Annex). During this time, groups such as the choir, women’s association, and committees began forming; many of these are still active today. Fellowship was fostered through family dinners, retreats at local conference grounds, adult study groups, and a vital evangelistic thrust into the surrounding community to invite neighbors to join in the worship and work of Covenant.
One of those groups was the Building Committee, which developed a long-range plan for the first unit (now the Chapel), educational buildings, the social hall, and the present Sanctuary. Ground-breaking for the first unit took place following the worship service on Sunday, February 11, 1951. Church members volunteered time on weeknights and Saturdays to supplement contracted work.
The cornerstone for the first unit was ceremoniously placed on May 27, 1951 and the first worship service was held on September 2, 1951. Church School also began in new classrooms that same day. Five years later, on September 30, 1956, the congregation held a ground-breaking service for Westminster Hall. And on March 24, 1963, Covenant laid the cornerstone and dedicated the new Sanctuary, thus completing the building program that was envisioned in 1950.
As the campus grew, so did the congregation and its activities. The name Covenant became synonymous with innovations and new techniques in Christian education. In 1963, Covenant opened their Nursery School, which is still in operation 50 years later. Throughout the years, Covenant has taken a stand on social issues such as Project Action, United Farm Workers Ministry, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968, and supports organizations such as the LAX Food Pantry, Westchester Mental Health Guild, and Westside Food Bank Hunger Walk, to name just a few. And throughout the years, Covenant has opened its doors to the community; its facilities are used by Girl Scout and Boy Scout troops, the YMCA, various 12-step programs, and many other groups.